Saturday, January 11, 2014


Tonight I had the most terrifying experience I have had in my life. I was making dinner and Danny and Kyle were in the kitchen with me. Kyle was walking around with his bottle of milk and I heard him fall and then cry a little bit. I looked over and he was sitting on the floor with his mouth wide open in the deep breath before the scream face. I ran over to him and picked him up and called for Jon to come upstairs; I think I was wondering if he saw the fall because what I thought happened from the sound I heard was just a plop on to his behind and that definitely did not warrant this type of reaction. I knew something was wrong when the scream didn't come after a few seconds and then he started turning purple. I tipped him face down over my arm and whacked him on the back maybe twice (and honestly probably not as hard as I needed to if something was stuck in there). I tried to stick my finger in his mouth to see if there was anything in there and his jaw was shut tight and I had to force my finger in. At this point Kyle was very blue and purple and kind of curled up and limp. Jon called 911 and I laid him on the floor ready to do CPR. I tilted his head back and lifted his chin up and again swiped my finger in his mouth to see if there was anything I could feel in there (I think this was wrong I think I was just supposed to look). I put my face down close to him and he started breathing and opened his eyes. This all happened really fast and by the time Jon was giving our address to the 911 lady Kyle was breathing. We had her send the paramedics anyway because Kyle was acting really lethargic and docile after nearly dying and we wanted them to make sure he was ok and that he hadn't aspirated whatever he seemed to be choking on. They checked his capillary refill and listened to his lungs and said everything sounded good. It was around the time that the paramedics and police officer got to our house that I started crying, but up until that point I was running on adrenaline and surprisingly calm. I have cried off and on since then. 

I feel truly blessed that Kyle is ok. A little while after the paramedics left he perked up and wanted to finish his dinner. He has been his usual happy self ever since. When Jon came up the stairs and saw me holding our blue baby face down he asked what he should do I immediatly told him to say a prayer, he quickly prayed that Kyle would be ok, and then I had him call 911. I know that Danny was watched over during this little crisis because he uncharacteristically stayed out of the way until Kyle had started breathing again and then wanted me to hold him. I am so grateful that we are all alive and safe because I can't imagine anything more difficult than losing a member of our little family. This was the first time I have ever used my CPR and first aid training for something major and it made me want to take another class to refresh my memory, but I was glad that I knew what I did and had the clarity of mind to use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment